This month at the regular Central Jersey Modern Quilt Guild meeting we discussed composition in modern quilts. Specifically ways to use the improv blocks we made for our challenge last month.
I gave a little talk with some examples and touched on some of the major elements of composition. It was by no means a comprehensive class, but rather meant to spark some ideas for the members on how to use their blocks and perhaps try something a little different than they're used to. So for this month the challenge was to use the improv blocks in any modern composition.
I decided I wasn't ready to use my blocks because what I have in mind requires more blocks. So I took a 3 of the blocks made for charity and used those to make a top to be donated.
I approached the design with the same planned improv method as I mentioned before - kinda like one giant block. I didn't really measure anything but sketched a general idea and with some layout on the design wall, adapted it until I got what I wanted.
As I mentioned I didn't make the 3 large blocks, but I made the mini blocks on the left to balance it out a bit.
This week I'm off to Quilt Market! Excited to get lots of inspiration and socialize with some really fun folks. I will take pictures, but I promise no comprehensive blog coverage.